Constitution of the Springfield Chess Club, Inc.
Adopted May 19, 1993
Article I (Name)
The name of the organization shall be "THE SPRINGFIELD CHESS CLUB, INC."
Article II (Purpose)
The purpose of the club shall be to promote the popularity of the game of chess.
Article III (Membership)
- Any person may become a member of the club upon payment of membership dues.
- In the event that a member of the club should be guilty of conduct which in judgment of three-fourths of the membership shall tend to bring the game of chess, or The Springfield Chess Club, Inc. into disrepute, his or her membership shall be revoked.
Article IV (Organization)
- The officers of the club shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Publicity Officer, to be nominated during the first regular meeting of the club during the month of November, and elected by majority vote of the members to be decided by secret ballot (including absentee votes received prior to the meeting) during the first regular meeting of the club during the month of December. All officers will assume office at the first regular meeting of the club during the month of January.
- The President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Publicity Officer, and the immediate past President shall be members of the Board of Directors.
- Should a vacancy occur between elections, it shall be filled by the majority votes of the members present at a meeting held within one month after the vacancy occurred.
- All members of the club shall be notified in writing at least two (2) weeks prior to any item of club business requiring a vote of said members. Notification shall include a complete explanation of the item to be voted upon and an absentee ballot that can be used by the member to register the member's vote if said member is unable to attend the voting session. Absentee ballots must be received by the club Secretary prior to the voting session.
Article V (Duties of Officers and Directors)
1. The President shall:
- Preside at all business meetings of the club
- Preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors
- Appoint any other administrative officers the Board of Directors may deem necessary
- Appoint all committees
2. The Vice President shall:
- Assist the President
- Preside at all meetings in the absence of the President
3. The Secretary shall:
- Keep the minutes of all meetings
- Carry on the correspondence of the club
- Send notices of meetings to members
4. The Treasurer shall:
- Collect all authorized dues
- Deposit all funds received by him with a bank designated by the Board of Directors
- Make disbursements as authorized by the Board of Directors
- Furnish a financial statement to the Board of Directors when requested by the said board
- Prepare a financial statement for the first regular meeting of the club every fourth month
5. The Publicity Officer shall:
- Arrange and supervise all intra-club and inter-club team matches
- Prepare and send notices to team members for all inter-club matches
- Submit meeting announcements weekly to the State Journal-Register, and promote the club through other public relations efforts.
6. The Board of Directors shall:
- Formulate a program of activities for the club
- Supervise the work of all committees
- Encourage club members to become tournament directors
Article VI (Dues)
The amount of the annual dues will be established by the Board of Directors annually.
Article VII (Meetings)
Regular meetings of the members shall be held throughout the year on such a day and at such a place as shall be decided upon by the membership. Meetings may be adjourned immediately upon call to order if there is no business of interest. The Board of Directors may meet at any time and any place upon call of the President.
Article VIII (Amendments)
The Constitution may be changed or amended by a two-thirds vote of the entire membership.
Article IX (Dissolution of the Treasury)
In the event the club shall disband, the entire treasury shall be distributed equally among the membership.
See our club regulations
Back to Governance
Back to main page